Squire Strat guitar lower and level frets

I have got my new pack with the Squire Fender Stratocaster electric guitar and the 10G amplifier. I found this guitar fantastic for the price I have paid, about 100 euros along with a bag, a strap and the cable. For such a cheap instrument one can expect to find things to improve, like the neck of the guitar which was hard to play with because the height of the frets. So I decided to loose the strings and lower the frets with 600 grits sand paper.

Well I started with 600 grits paper sticked to a wooden box to make it flat, but the procedure was too slow, so I changed to 280 grits first. I went over and over the frets to remove material until I thought they would be more comfortable to play. But this is a delicate thing because if frets are too low or not well leveled then your guitar may sound buzzing or out of tune.

Once the frets were low enough I leveled them by putting a cutter blade on the first three frets, then moved the blade up and down always touching the middle fret. If I heard any noise then I knew that that middle fret was higher than the others, so I have worked on it until all were leveled.

I have repeated this procedure with the next three frets and so on with the others three until the end. And it needs to be done in the middle and on the sides closer to the edge of the neck. This takes time but once it is done you know that the frets on the neck of your guitar are perfectly leveled.

After verifying all I crowned or rounded all frets because after the lowering work they were flatter and this needs to be corrected. To do so I took a cork from a bottle of wine, made a vertical mark on it to position the sand paper inside to work on the frets with it.

Then I polished the ends of the frets on the sides of the neck so they would not hurt while playing.

And finally I have put some brown shoe polish on the wood of the neck to nourish, protect it and make it shine.

You can see it the video and I had to work more on it that I said, with different sandpaper grits and in some cases a file. The result is wonderful.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Repair Dolce Gusto Circolo Leaking Problem

Root Nook Simple Touch with updated NookManager

How to Change the Gear Shift Knob of the Peugeot 306