How To Unroot Nexus 5X and Fix Bootloop Soft Brick

I wanted to unroot my Nexus 5X with the Nexus Root Toolkit and ended up with a soft bricked phone with a: your device has loaded a different operating system message and after trying to reboot again the other message: your device is corrupted and cannot be trusted.
At some moment when the tool tried to flash the bootloader got locked and would not let finish the process, then the infinite loop started again.

It took me a few hours and a lot of patience to figure out how to solve this. I had downloaded a factory image from here: https://developers.google.com/android/images once I had extracted all files from the factory image I analyzed the flash-all.bat file and this is what I could see:


fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-bullhead-bhz11h.img
fastboot reboot-bootloader
ping -n 5 127.0.0.1 >nul
fastboot flash radio radio-bullhead-m8994f-2.6.36.2.20.img
fastboot reboot-bootloader
ping -n 5 127.0.0.1 >nul
fastboot -w update image-bullhead-n4f26i.zip

echo Press any key to exit...
pause >nul
exit


Here is how I solved it, I opened a command line window where I had extracted the files. This will only work if you have adb installed, of course, if you do not have it you can download the https://developer.android.com/studio/releases/platform-tools. And basically all I did was unlock the bootloader and execute the flashing instructions by hand omiting the fastboot reboot-bootloader part.

1. Connect the phone to the computer in fastboot mode.
2. Unlock the bootloader from the command line: fastboot oem unlock
3. Flash the factory image from the command line:

fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-bullhead-bhz11h.img
fastboot flash radio radio-bullhead-m8994f-2.6.36.2.20.img
fastboot -w update image-bullhead-n4f26i.zip

Here is the video

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Repair Dolce Gusto Circolo Leaking Problem

Root Nook Simple Touch with updated NookManager

How to Change the Gear Shift Knob of the Peugeot 306