Saturday, August 4, 2012

Solving Wifi Problems with Orange DSL

I had this long time problem: could not connect my IBM T42 to the Orange DSL via Wi-Fi.
I tried all the possible Wi-Fi configuration through the admin panel when this idea came to my mind:
Try the little Wireless adapter 802.11g, and it works!
I've just paid 7 euros for this adapter and it solved my problem.
Well, where was the problem?

My IBM T42 laptop has a Wi-Fi adapter with 802.11b working standards, I've tested my laptop everywhere and the Wi-Fi connection worked fine, but at home I had to use a R45 cable to connect to the Internet.

The Orange DSL has a Wi-Fi standard more recent than the standard of the Wi-Fi card on my laptop, even if the Orange admin dashboard you could select b/g or b/g/n, only g is working.

What is the difference between the 802.11b and 802.11g standards?

Wi-Fi Networking Standards Year

Speed


802.11b

1999

Up to 11 Mbps
802.11g

2002/2003

Up to 54 Mbps

Well, these speed values are theorethical figures which represents an ideal maximum only.
Usually, both standards are compatible but if you've got a router with 802.11g, and two computers conected one with a  802.11b adapter and the other with a 802.11g, the performance of the 802.11g may slow down to the 802.11b speed.
So it is better to have the same network standard with both the router and the clients.




2 comments:

Jude Lee said...

To tell you the teuth I was passing around and come across your site. It is wonderful. I mean as a content and design. I added you to my list and decided to spent the rest of the weekend browsing. Well done!
www.fadeplex.com

storiesofmaria said...

Thank you, I'm glad you liked it :)

Post a Comment

Your opinion is very appreciated, thank you!